Monday 2 September 2013

Ssikkek Korean BBQ Buffet @ Tampines 1

My first Korean BBQ buffet was with 18 adult + 1 child. It was a dinner gathering at Tampines 1's Ssikkek Korean BBQ (level 4, next to Challenger). Weekend dinner prices for the buffet was stated at the entrance as $24++ (Adult) & $18++ (Child). There's a maximum of 2 hours for the buffet by the way. After service charge (10%) and GST (7%), it actually amounts up to $28.248 (Adult) & $21.186 (Child). I have no idea how the BBQ/grill place round their figures - that is why the prices I calculated are in 3 decimals. With a group of 19, the bill was a whopping $530 odd! щ(゜ロ゜щ) *faint*

*2014 Feb Update - change in prices*

Korean BBQ Buffet Prices

Before heading down for the dinner, I did some research and noticed a few things..
- Most blog reviews had very few photos.
- Photos of the food/grill was usually.. left meat, right meat, everywhere.. meat.
- Apart from the types of meat available (& some random non-meat dishes) there was very little 'less general' content.

Here's a photo appetizer. (ノ^▽^)ノ Enjoy~

Grilled Beef
sizzling meat! (I don't know what meat.. might be beef)

Now that appetizer is done with, here's a small-scale word vomit. *grins*

After having dined at the restaurant (is it even a restaurant?!) grill place, I realized the uhh.. reason? behind what I noticed in the blog reviews.
- There isn't a lot of things that were snap worthy. It's simply table & grill after another. With a small island a couple of steps in, from the entrance.

- It really is just about the meat. Everywhere I laid my eyes, I mostly saw meat. Raw meat, meat in the midst of grilling/cooking, cooked meat, meat wrapped in lettuce, golden mushrooms wrapped in meat. For 2 hours, I was having all kinds of meat side of everything else. And because I wasn't the one cooking the meats I rarely knew what was on the grill without asking, let alone what I was eating (if it's gonna cost me that much money, I'm just gonna eat what's tasty & not fuss).

- There's a small island / area where all the food is placed. It's a little like Seoul Garden, only smaller (if memory doesn't fail me). Upon first glance at the food area, I mostly saw meat. They had meats in different sizes, marinated or plain, pork, chicken or beef. Boy oh boy, was the meat good (maybe it was my friends who cooked them well.. haha). Which is probably why most of the 'general content' was usually on the meats.

Apart from the usual cooked white rice (밥 - bap), a few varieties of soup (I only remember the seaweed soup), and watermelon as dessert, there was a few korean side dishes (반찬 - banchan) such as kimchi, spicy rice cakes (ddeokbokki), glass noodles (잡채 - japchae) and scallion pancakes (파전 - pajeon). For raw vegetables, there was lettuce for wrapping (or to eat it plain, if you happen to like it that way), cherry tomatoes and enoki mushrooms (I suppose they are veggies.. ..). Oh! They have squid and prawns for grilling too. Though I would pass on them the next time I visit.

Here are some photos (I almost forgot to take any) cause a picture's worth a thousand words. A thousand "meat" words more like.

see that plate at the top? that's marinated meat. what marinate, what meat, I have no clue.
but I do know that it tastes awesome. haha!

Jon grilled the enoki mushrooms with the marinated meat.. which is why they're brown & tastes really good.
& yes, I still don't know what meat is that on the grill.

squid rings! that I would pass on because they are really b l a n d
we tried grilling it with the meat marinade like with the enoki, but it didn't work

mouse over to see what's under the hot grill plate!
This is our 3rd plate I believe.

grilling baconmeat galore
grilling tasty bacon on the fresh plate!mountains of marinated chicken and beef waiting in line

Watermelon for dessert after all that fatty oily good meat!

잡채 - japchae and 파전 - pajeon 잡채 - japchae and 파전 - pajeon
while Jasen helps himself to the glass noodles (they're like fried tang hoon.. not bad) and the scallion pancake (I don't like scallions so I didn't touch the pancakes.. Jasen says they're nice though)

Ssikkek Korean Grill
this is what happens after all that grilling, and it is also why it's a tell-tale sign to call for a change of grill plate!
this is our 3rd and last grill plate.. scroll up for the before photo of the grill plate

look at all that.. uhh.. uhh.. *faints* (°o°;)

the controller for the grill

& finally, the little island!
had to walk back in to snap this shot (when you dine here.. eat, not take pictures)

There's a 2 hour limit for every customer / table, and the clock starts ticking once you get your seat. Even though I wasn't doing the grilling, taking photos barely crossed my mind. Why? Because it's a buffet/grill place! At least that's what I feel. There wasn't any "must-take-photo!" kind of feeling. It was all "nom nom nom.. nom nomnomnomnomnomn" q( ̄(oo) ̄)p


I'm pretty sure I missed some things out. So I would suggest, give this place a chance. Go on & check it out yourself, then check out how good (or bad) you'll smell of bbq-ed/grilled meat (it may be smokeless but come on, even having MOF's unagi hotstone rice leaves a smell). Once you've checked out the place, let me know what I missed out. *grins*



buuurrrrppp~

No comments:

Post a Comment